Friday, April 15, 2011

This Is Where I'm From

I am from Tide detergent,
From Colgate and Tresseme shampoo.
I am from the football lying in the back yard.
(Brown, dirty, it felt like happiness in my hands.)
I am from my pool
The 4ft deep water
Whose glistening waves I remember
As when they calmed my anxiety.

I am from spaghetti and cherries,
From giant green grapes and strawberries.
I am from the geeks
And the nerds, from Cheer-up! And Shut-up!
I am from told-you sos
And I hate you
I am from the wind that whips
Through my hair on a hot day.

I am from books and drawing,
As i did relaxing on my front porch.
I am from Monopoly and Candyland,
From Mario and spyro that me and my brother loved to play.
I'm from barbeques and wet dog,
As the smells I grew up with.

I am from the place where my heart was born,
The town with a community where most everyone knows each other.
I am from the photos that hang from the walls,
The rewards that we hang on the refrigerator.
I am from the place I call my own,
The place I feel safe.

7 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    I really enjoyed the last stanza, and some of the earlier phrases like your description of your pool's "glistening waves" and the line "I am from the wind that whips" - so descriptive! I wonder what would happen if you used more poetic elements in your stanzas, playing with your word choice to make the rest of your lines as evocative. I am intrigued by the final two lines and I wish there was a way to add this element to other stanzas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you used products like the toothpaste and shampoo. I also liked the "wet dog" part. I wonder what would happen if you gave more detail on things and put your memories in a more organized order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your writing because you gave a lot of descriptive words and reading what you wrote, I could really picture everything you wrote about. Especially the pool and the dirty football. I wonder what it would be like if you used a bigger variety of words that described what you were describing, like glistening. I wish that the stanzas could have been longer so I could get a better feel of what it was like growing up as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this and it told me a lot about where u come from. I wonder what it would be like if you gave more details on some of the things you talked about. I wish you could have added more to it, but besides that it was really good:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how you used the photos on the walls and rewards on the refrigerator. The way your had things put together made this a really good piece of writing. Most of what you said you were from I can relate to a lot. I really enjoyed reading this. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the part where it says..i am from the place where my heart was born.
    I wonder what would have happened if you had added more names or elements that make it unique.Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your poem and one of my favorite parts was when you talked about hanging rewards on the refrigerator. I liked how you put everything together, it worked very nicely. I wish you had added even more things in your poem about your life because I thought it was really interesting and left me wanting to hear more. I wonder what your poem would be like if you had added more details to the things in your life.

    ReplyDelete